Pre-Operative Instructions for Surgery
If you have specific instructions, a nurse will discuss them with you during your pre-surgical consultation. Additionally, reviewing the following guidelines will ensure that your experience will be a pleasant one.
- Make arrangements to have someone stay with you the first night after surgery. Remember to shop for groceries and fill prescriptions before your surgery.
- Since you will not be able to drive directly after surgery, please arrange for post-operative transportation.
- Reduce the risk of complications by not eating or drinking prior to surgery. You should not eat or drink after midnight the day before your surgery.
- Do not smoke or chew tobacco the morning of your surgery. Smoking is irritating to your lungs, makes it harder for you to recover from your operation, and increases the likelihood of pneumonia.
- Take your usual medications with a small sip of water, unless directed otherwise.
- If you are diabetic, please consult with your pre-op nurse.
- Take a soapy shower or bath using unscented soap the evening and morning prior to your surgery.
- Do not wear makeup or fingernail polish, so that we can adequately monitor your skin’s ‘color’.
- Do not wear lotion, perfume, cologne, or jewelry.
- Bring comfortable, loose clothing to wear home.
- Do not bring large amounts of cash, credit cards, or jewelry.
- Children may bring a small blanket or toy from home.