What is it?
The gallbladder is a small, hollow organ located under your liver on the right side of your abdomen. It is the key storage facility for bile, which is essential to the body’s digestive system. Gallstones can block the flow of bile if they become lodged in any part of the gallbladder’s intricate duct system. This can lead to painful inflammation.
Gallstone Risk Factors:
- Are over 40, obese or diabetic
- Have experienced rapid weight loss
- Take estrogen supplements
- Are female, Native or Mexican-American
- Are genetically prone to the disease
- Take drugs to regulate cholesterol levels